The first step is of course to ensure that you have made a fully informed and considered decision. Please review information on our site and elsewhere and proceed only if you feel confident and happy with your choice.
Once your surgery date is scheduled and it is important that you follow the instructions below. Please also review the after vasectomy information so you know what to expect after the procedure.
The Week Before
Three Days Before
Three days prior to your appointment, please confirm your attendance for your vasectomy by responding to our emailed appointment reminder (at email@example.com) or by calling us at 514-447-2332.
Two Days Before
Please avoid alcohol for 48 hours before and after the surgery.
Shave your scrotum two nights before your surgery. We recommend shaving then instead of the night before so that any discomfort due to shaving will have passed before you come into the clinic for your vasectomy procedure.
The link below shows where to shave, and you may choose to cut first carefully with small scissors prior to shaving with a safety razor or an electric shaver if that is your preference.
The Day of Your Surgery
- On the day of your surgery eat a normal breakfast or lunch, as those who don’t are more likely to become lightheaded.
- You may take 2 tablets of extra-strength acetaminophen just before leaving for the clinic.
- Wear very supportive underwear.
Please do not wear boxer shorts, as they do not provide the necessary support.
- We recommend that you bring a small ice pack with you so that you can apply is immediately after surgery, and on your way home.
- Wear light clothing because it will be warm in the room.
- You will be asked to come 15 minutes before your actual appointment time.
Please call our clinic to speak with us or contact us anytime with your inquiry. If you would like to make an appointment you can do so now online and then we will be in touch to confirm next steps.
At the Clinic
You will be at our clinic for about 60 – 90 minutes including ;
- Check in and administrative details
- Review of post-vasectomy care instructions
- A consultation and physical exam
- Anesthetic application by air pressure spray
- The no-scalpel vasectomy procedure
- Recovery and observation period
Post-Vasectomy Care Instructions
Our nurse will review what you should do after your procedure and answer your questions. You will have written instructions to take with you as well, and you will have phone access to Dr. Shuker in the days after your procedure.
Consultation & Physical Exam
Anesthesia & Procedure
Post- Procedure Observation
Go Home and Rest
Go directly home and rest for the balance of the day, icing your scrotum as instructed. You will have your post-procedure care instructions, and you can see more detail on after-vasectomy care now if you like. Most men feel very little discomfort once the anesthetic wears off. Rarely, acetaminophen is needed for pain relief. You will have phone access to our doctor post-operatively for any issues. This is included for all patients who undergo vasectomy with Dr. Elroy Shuker.
Keep it simple.
Book now for a single-visit vasectomy procedure next week.
No referral needed.